💪Popeye's Creamy Delight




Alright so I know I said "no blah blah blah" but it's basically impossible to have a blog with no short stories or anecdotes. Sorry not sorry.

"Popeye's creamy delight" is spinach dip. This recipe comes from my best friend's brother. (HI GABE!!) I just asked him recently while he was in town what we should name this recipe since it came from him and I don't think he knows me that well cause I laughed and was like "Yes that is so perfect". I have to clarify that the basic recipe came from him, he showed my best friend (HI LEAH!!) and she showed me and I fucked it all the way up. just kidding. I have adapted it. Every time I make it actually. I just wing it! And you can too that's how easy this recipe is. It's become a staple and my some-day-in-laws don't let me show up without it. 

You will need:
8 oz cream cheese x 4 (or find a giant block at costco idk ur life)
8 oz sour cream 
a handful of garlic 
olive oil
4 ish cups shredded cheese. I think I used jack cheese this time because it just happened to be the best bang for buck. pepperjack is bomb in this recipe. 
3 cups of spinach (or more if you want) 

SOOOO that is the basic items that never really change but from there I use whatever veggies I want or are available to me. this time I did:
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
3 carrots
some broccoli (eye ball it! you got this.) 

I usually spend about 20 dollars for the supplies for this entire recipe but you could really dress it up with a bread bowl or keep it simple with what you already have at home. You could spice it up with jalapeno. You could do a little more or less cream cheese or veggies depending on your budget or taste buds. This time I filled 3 pie pans. What i'm trying to pound into your head is that anyone can make this. I don't have exact measurements for some items because I do it different every time. I would love to see this recipe made with vegan products! if you try it don't forget to comment with a picture and tell me how it went!! 

Okay so here's the brownies Spinach dip instructions

First off, wash your hands. When you're done with that set the oven to 350 degrees. Get your handful of garlic. I have a giant bag from costco already peeled but if you don't go ahead and peel your garlic. Cover your garlic in olive oil and leave it in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, I just let it slowly roast. You can use a cupcake tin or tiny loaf pan. The amount of oil you use is up to you. I used enough for the garlic to be swimming and then I put that oil in a small jar and gifted it to Leah as "garlic infused olive oil" if you don't want to infuse any oil just use enough oil to liberally coat the garlic. 

Here you can see the swimming pool of olive oil.

Next or really whenever honestly I always forget this step until like right before I have to mix it all up and I think "wait, the spinach!?". You want to heat up the spinach to cook it down and remove some of the excess liquid. No matter how much spinach you cook it will cook down to this amount. kidding but it always seems like it all disappears.  

chopping the spinach up before cooking is a good idea but not detrimental 

After the spinach is cooked let it cool down and then use a clean paper towel to squeeze the spinach water out. You don't want runny spinach dip! 

Toss the spinach juice or do this over the drain, no need to save it.

Chop your veggies. I like them on the smaller side.


Its a great idea to cook your veggies down in a saute pan in a little olive oil on the stove before this next step but this time I forgot. The veggies had a slight crunch but no one said it was ruined and it's all gone less than 2 days later. That's ultimately why this recipe is so easy, it's just hard to fuck up in my opinion.

In a mixing bowl combine everything but reserve some cheese to layer on the top before baking. About 2 handfuls of cheese should be enough depending on your baking dish.



okay so I figured it would be dope to use my kitchenaid but I was more concerned with getting good photos than thinking about if it would really work well. I way overfilled the bowl, it didn't mix well and I had to do what we always do when we make spinach dip, use your hands. I do think if you wanted to use the mixer for the cream cheese and sour cream first that would be helpful but again not detrimental whatsoever.

Once you have it all combined and the garlic is all crushed up in there by your phalanges pour it into one big baking dish or multiple smaller ones maybe a bread bowl

Add a layer of cheese on top and cover with aluminum foil. Bake the dip covered at 350 for about 30 to 45 minutes. 

If you prepared all of this ahead of time and put it in the fridge to bake later you might need a little more time in the oven. I do recommend being aware of your dish, if its glass it may break going from cold to hot. 

Once you've checked your dip and the edges are bubbling take that foil off and return the dip to the oven to get a golden brown crust on your cheese. That could take 10 to 15 minutes or switch to broil and watch it closely. 


Don't forget to accompany with bread or chips to dip. You can enjoy this as a spread on sandwiches as well. 


Enjoy!!!

Don't forget to come back and tell me about how it went and how much you love "Popeye's Creamy Delight"








Comments

Popular Posts